As a pet owner, you will soon learn that you can’t always be home to take care of your pet. Whether your travel destination doesn’t allow pets or you simply work eight hours per day, hiring a pet sitter may seem fitting. Before hiring someone to look after your pet, always check their references and verify whether the sitter is a member of the National Association of Professional Pet Sitters or Pet Sitters International. Both of these institutions pride themselves on providing superior knowledge about professional pet care so being affiliated with either is notable. Check that the pet sitter is insured and licensed in pet CPR. When you have finally found a pet sitter who meets your requirements, be sure there is a signed agreement outlining your pet’s care, including how frequently the pet sitter will visit.
Benefits of hiring a pet sitter
- Attention is still given to your pet, even when you’re away.
- Can eliminate destructive behaviors caused by anxious pets.
- Pet sitters can also take care of the house while you’re away.
- Pets with separation anxiety can become accustomed to the pet-sitter, relieving any stress and allowing them to be more relaxed.
- You have peace-of-mind, knowing that your pet is being effectively cared for.
- Your pet doesn’t have to adjust to a new environment or someone else’s schedule.
- Your pet gets to stay in an environment they are comfortable in.